This week we were tasked with comparing two different video editing software packages; preferably free programs. I started out wanting to compare Windows Live Movie Maker and Photobucket. After a problem with Photobucket, I reviewed a third program called Wax.
When I started looking into Photobucket further, I discovered that this online video editing software program did not have the capabilities it claimed to have. Photobucket incorporates the Adobe Premier Express package. The Adobe site indicated that indicated that you can "reorder, split, and trim your video clips; add music, transitions, and titles; and then make it all your own with a mix of favorite photos, graphics, and animation" (Adobe, 2009, np). This should have been able to be accomplished by simply signing in and utilizing the "create remix" link. After I signed up for the Photobucket online program I had the option to select the free version or a paid version which claims to have more statistics and more upload room. I selected the free option and after numerous attempts was not able to locate the "create remix" link.
As a result, I downloaded another freeware program called Wax. Wax was easy to find through the search process and easy to download. This program gives you the ability to crop videos and create transitions. I found it interesting and a bit confusing that the program separates the audio and video that you import into two separate files. This could get difficult to work with if you are utilizing multiple videos to create one video. There is a drag and drop feature that allows you to drop the imported videos into whatever sequence you want. I personally do not think that the visual aspect of the program is user friendly. I have become accustomed to simpler icon views. There is also an audio glitch I learned about from one of the YouTube videos I reviewed (GrannyGoddy, 2010); apparently the audio that is imported and dropped into your project will not play sound unless you drag the play bar to the right and then back to the left. A glitch that could cause tons of headaches and cause a person to give up on a program unless they had been told about it. Overall I believe Wax has some great features, minus the audio glitch, and can be used by a beginning video editing user; however, I believe the program is more suited to intermediate users.
The first difference I see between Wax ans Windows Live Movie Maker is the visual difference. Live Movie Maker is more visually appealing and user friendly. The program utilizes the icons that I am familiar with and this alone makes me more comfortable to start and more willing to play around in the program. Windows Live Movie Maker is a free program and the updated version of Windows Movie Maker. The new Live version is created for Windows 7. I love how I can click on the "add videos and photos icon" and load 9 videos in seconds. I can also see the changes I make to the final video on my video preview section. Like Wax I can add titles, narration, music, and credits. However, Live Movie Maker gives the new video editing user a simple one click "Auto Movie" icon that will provide a template for the Title, music, and credits. When you are done there is an icon that will let you upload your video directly to You Tube and other to upload to your Facebook page. What I like most about Windows Live Movie Maker is that as a new video editing user I can grow with this program.
For the use in the classroom, I believe that Windows Live Movie Maker is a great choice for new users because it is visually similar to other Microsoft programs students utilize and has many simplistic options. The more advanced and older students could be challenged with Wax and assist them in working in more detail. The fact that both programs are free is a great option for schools.
Sources:
Adobe Premier Express (July 14, 2009). Mix and mash media right in your browser. Retrieved September 1, 2010 from http://www.adobe.com/products/premiereexpress/.
GrannyGoddy. (January 10, 2010). You Tube: The wax video editor lesson 1. Retrieved September 2, 2010 from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw9dbJ0wahM
No comments:
Post a Comment